How to Cook Chicharong Bulaklak

25 June 2012 § 1

Chicharong Bulaklak is a delicacy that I never really grow tired of eating. It's delicious and at the same time dangerous. One bite of these tiny things can be fatal especially if you have a heart condition. Eating Chicharong Bulakak, for me, is like an extreme sport. It's exciting. It never fails to make my heart skip a beat or two especially if I've already gobbled down 3 to 4 pieces. If you want to try living on the edge, follow this recipe for suicide - how to cook chicharong bulaklak.



Let's start with the ingredients:

1) Pig's Intestines - in our dialect (Cebuano), it's called Ilugon. Or you can just go to your suking meat shop and tell them that you want to cook Chicharon Bulaklak. Most likely they know what you need. And if they don't have it, they can point you to the right direction.

2) Cooking Oil - self explanatory. How much cooking oil do you need? Depends on how many Chicharong Bulaklak you'll be cooking. Just remember that we need to deep fry it.

3) Garlic - to mask the not-so-nice taste of the intestine.

4) Salt - to taste.

5) Water - for washing your hands... And for preparing the pig's intestines.


Preparing the Pig's Intestines:

1) Wash the intestines thoroughly and cut them into pieces. How big? Depends on you.

Washed and Cut Into Pieces
2) After cutting, I washed them again. Sometimes I just can't get over the fact that they're still intestines.

3) Put everything in a skillet (or something that's deeper) and fill it with water.

4) Put in salt - as much salt as you like.

5) Boil the suckers.

Boil the suckers
6) Remove from the pan and they should look like the picture below.

Like this


Cooking the Chicharong Bulaklak:

1) Prepare your pan. In my case, I use a deep pan (I don't know what it's called. I'm not a chef, okay!)

2) Fill it up with cooking oil. Again, remember that we're deep frying them.

3) Heat up the oil.

4) Put in crushed garlic. How many cloves? It's up to you. I personally don't like garlic so I scrimped a bit on this.

5) Once the garlic is brown, remove from the pan then put in the pieces of intestines.

Almost there
I really don't know for how long you should fry 'em, but I like them crispy. If they look crispy enough for me, I get my strainer and put them on paper towels so that the oil will be absorbed.

I also suggest that you don't get that excited and gobble them up right away. Wait for 5 to 10 minutes to let them air dry.

Finished product - Chicharong Bulaklak

I know they're not the best looking Chicharong Bulaklak you've ever laid your eyes on. What matters is the taste and the satisfaction that you made your own Chicharong Bulaklak.

Some people put some other spices before they fry it. Spices like herbs and shit that I haven't even heard of. And you can too. You can even put cyanide for all I care. But I like mine simple.

Chicharong Bulaklak is best served with Sukang Pinakurat, Sinamak or Suka with Garlic and ice cold beer.

Again, just a fair warning, this is not for the faint-hearted nor is this for people who have gout. Enjoy this extreme adventure and don't go blaming me if you suddenly go on cardiac arrest or if your joints start aching.

What's this?

You are currently reading How to Cook Chicharong Bulaklak at gigoy.

meta

§ 1 Response to “How to Cook Chicharong Bulaklak”

§ Leave a Reply